Thursday, March 24, 2011

Why I decided to decline The Food Network's offer to audition for Cupcake Wars..


When I was contacted by The Food Network to audition for Cupcake Wars I was excited, nervous, flattered and willing to go on the show and bake my pants off for cupcake pioneer Candace Nelson and Frenchy Pastry Chef Florian Bellanger: The master of macaroons.

But the more I thought about it the more anxious I would get. The anxiety wasn't because I would potentially have to design a 1,000 cupcake display and bake the cupcakes within a 90 minute time frame, it was the stem of something else....

Regardless of the outcome of the competition it is likely that my business would pick up after the show aired, and I wasn't quite sure if I wanted that. Currently, my mother and I are able to bake small batches of cupcakes 3 times a day Thursday-Sunday. If it ever got to the point where my mother and I couldn't handle it, it would mean more staff members, bigger batches, and an inability to micro manage, to be precise, and to pay attention to detail. There would be no more cherry on the Key Lime Pie Cupcake, no more dollop of strawberry preserves on the Strawberry Cheesecake Cupcake, and no more homemade meringue cookie on the Lemon Meringue Cupcake (kudos to those cupcake shops that are still able to do all this while mass producing). Although business would probably be better, I personally wouldn't feel satisfied with the cupcakes being produced, which is why I have decided not to go on Cupcake Wars!

Wow, Simply Rita.....not so simple after all!

2 comments:

Sugar Bear said...

I totally hear what you are saying and you have to do what is right for you. Several years ago a friend and I started a dog treat business and did it on the side. It essentially turned into a second full time job and I wasn't getting any sleep. What was once a passion became a chore and we decided to close the business. It was like a huge weight lifted! Your cupcakes are delicious and you sound happy with the way you have it. Kudos to you for realizing that!
Karla

Simply Rita said...

Hey Karla!
Never knew you owned a dog treat business how cool! I can totally understand why you decided to close the business. Once it reaches the point of becoming a chore and no longer a passion, the business instantly suffers because your heart is no longer in it! Thanks for commenting, hope to see you soon, possibly with Chelsea! Loved the little kitchen set you made for her (and your blog as well)!