Monday, September 21, 2009

"Damn that's a lotta money!"

I was organizing a party with my maid of honor not too long ago, and the customer requested a fondant covered cake from a well known cake decorator here in Athens. When the cake arrived to the party (650 euros later) it was beautiful! Covered with hand rolled princesses and fairies! I thought to myself if this cake tastes as good as it looks this woman is a goddess! After taking the first bite of the cake, I soon realized that this woman was not a goddess she was just really good at rolling figurines out of fondant. The cake was like a Styrofoam brick with a plastic like flavorless topping! I'll admit I think the fondant covered Louis Vuitton and Manolo Blahnik cakes are pretty impressive, but with that money you can buy your own pair of Manolo Blahniks! So what are other options for a super trendy birthday cake....cupcakes! You can still incorporate your theme with minimal amounts of fondant and sugarpaste, they taste AMAZING, and they won't leave you saying "Damn that's a lotta money!"



Fondant should be used for decorative purposes, not to drape over an entire cake.

No comments: