Monday, September 14, 2009

.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
DEPRIVATION!!


When I first moved to Athens, Greece I figured I would continue to bake cupcakes. I however, never realized what a challenge this would be until I moved here. Simple ingredients that were once so easy to come by were near impossible to find. For example: Pure vanilla extract, gum paste powder, crisco, superfine sugar, chocolate chips were nowhere to be found. Therefore, recipes that were once easy to make were now extremely time consuming. Why? Because chocolate chips were no longer found at the nearest Stop & Shop they were now piped out of a pastry bag. Marshmallows were not bought in the big industrial sized bags, but rather made from scratch. Fondant was not purchased in the Wilton tub that was sold at Joanne Fabrics but rolled out with the homemade marshmallows! Canned pumpkin? Boil a pumpkin! This at times was frustrating because when I wanted a quick solution it was not at hand. I must say this brings a completely different meaning to the word HOMEMADE!



*Picture of fondant flowers made with homemade marshmallow fondant

No comments: